It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roasted red peppers?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:16 am 

Aren't roasted red peppers the same as pimento?

Post subject: Re: Roasted red peppers?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:30 am 

No. For an explanation, go to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pimento

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:16 am 

I had to look this up myself and thanks, Gloria, for the neat info on wikipedia! I love this topic of pimento talk. :). Here's another informative article:

I do need to give credit to this so here goes:

Published January 1, 2007. From America's Test Kitchen. (Cook's Illustrated).

What's the difference between jarred pimentos and roasted red peppers?

Fresh pimentos are thin-skinned, heart-shaped sweet peppers with a slightly bitter, aromatic flavor reminiscent of paprika (a spice made from pimento pods). Jarred pimentos have been boiled to remove their skins and then packed in a brine of citric acid or vinegar.

Jarred roasted red peppers can be made from a variety of peppers, including pimentos and bell peppers. As their name suggests, jarred roasted red peppers are roasted to remove their skins and then packed in an acidic brine.

We compared nationally available Goya pimentos with our favorite brand of roasted red peppers, Divina (made from Florina peppers, a type of pimento grown in northern Greece). Straight from the jar, the Goya pimentos had a "pungent," "complex" flavor with some bitterness and astringency. Their texture was soft and slimy. The Divina roasted red peppers, on the other hand, had a smoky, sweet flavor and tender, toothsome texture. When we sampled red pepper dip and arroz con pollo made with both peppers, opinions were split; some tasters preferred the briny pimentos while others favored the smoky red peppers.

If you're only going to buy one product, we recommend the sweeter, smokier flavor and firmer texture of roasted red peppers, but pimentos can be used in place of roasted red peppers in many recipes, as long as you don't mind their slightly bitter, briny flavor.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:42 am 

As a serious gardener I can tell you that they are not the same. There are many kinds of peppers and they all have their own unique flavor. They are easy to grow and in fact I have several that are still alive and producing in my garden. By now the frost should have killed them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:11 pm 

Leni,

First, I am so envious that you have pepper plants still alive! What species of peppers do you grow? I always trust your gardening judgement and it's fun to hear of your garden each year. I am looking for a pepper (to grow) that is less hot than a jalapeno but in that same size and shape. I don't want to grow those ones that look like jalapenos but taste like bell peppers. Is there such an animal?

Thanks!

Marlene

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:55 pm 

I grow red, black, yellow and green bell peppers. I think that an Anaheim pepper would fit the bill as far as flavor is concerned. It is longer than a jalapeno and a little bigger in diameter. It is the pepper that Ortego uses to make their diced green chilies. I still have four of those but they are fairly dorment at the moment. Then I grow jalapenos, and a very small pepper that will take the top of your head off. One pepper will flavor a whole pot of chili. I don't remember the name of that one. The one thing that I have noticed with the hot peppers is that the heat varies with the weather. During the summer that little hot pepper is very hot. The peppers that ripen during the winter have almost no heat at all. Since your summers are much cooler than mine a jalapeno would not be nearly as hot. An experiment is in order.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:25 pm 

Oh Leni, thank you so much! This is perfect info and I am definitely going to pick up a couple anaheim plants this spring. I sure never knew it is an anaheim pepper that Ortega uses. YOU are great. We had a super pepper and tomato season last year (for Western Washington). I dehydrated tons of tomato "chips" and pickled pepper rings -- all our friends go crazy over them so I have to make enough for everyone.

Marlene

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:56 am 

Thanks for all the comments. I always have pimentos in stock but have never done anything with roasted peppers. Now I have them as well. They were with the pickles at the store.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:32 am 

For the last couple years my father lived, he resided w/me. He would love to go to the grocery store as there were so many Italian foods he liked, one of which was roasted peppers. I really don't remember what isle they were on, but dad would eat them like one would eat a pickle on the side with a sandwich.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:54 am 

I forgot to mention my all time favorite roasted red pepper. It's called "PIQUILLO" --- to see a picture or product, go to a Spanish food import shop online, like latienda.com. These peppers are gorgeous and taste wonderful..... none quite like.

You can even find them in some higher end markets. Dellalo is one brand I often see. To me, they are just a step up in class from the regular roasted red peppers.

Hope all you So-Cal friends are drying out now. Boy, Maynard sure called that emergency preparation correctly!

Marlene

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:58 pm 

Marlene: You know what really gets my shorts in a wad? These news broadcasters will forecast a major weather event, and not comment on it's implications. They wait until the storm is on top of you, to tell you what you should have done two days prior. People literally put their lives at risk to do necessary trips, that could have been done prior to the event. Then you see the news footage, of downed power lines, trees into houses and cars, cars stalled in lakes of water, spin-outs on the highways, and travel interupted out of the L A basin. Yikes! Who knew?

By the way. I have a cousin in Covington, WA. Where is Grapeview? They are in a Seattle suburb.