It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vince's Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:18 pm 

I found it!

Well, more accurately, my husband found it. I was keeping an eye on the Victorville Daily Press's Cook's Exchange by Veronica Hill because someone had posted wanting the recipe and I knew it would eventually show up. I was going to surprise my husband one evening with homemade Vince's for dinner

But then he Googled last night and found it before I could!

Anyway, we were talking about it in the food from your childhood thread, so here it is:

From: http://www.vvdailypress.com/2005/112368150124071.html

Vince's Spaghetti Sauce

Vince's Spaghetti, Ontario

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 large onion, chopped

1 small can tomato paste

2 large cans tomatoes in puree

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon basil

2 tablespoons sugar

1 pound ground round beef

1/4 teaspoon oregano

• Cook the garlic and onion in olive oil for a few minutes. Add the tomato paste and an equal amount of water. Simmer for a few minutes. Add the tomatoes in puree that ha been broken up. Add salt, pepper, basil and sugar. Simmer a few more minutes. Brown meat with oregano. Drain and add to tomato sauce. Simmer 11/2 to 2 hours and serve over favorite pasta.

Post subject: Vince's
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:31 pm 
How many ounces do you think are in the cans of tomatoes in puree?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:41 pm 

I used the 14.5 ounce cans when I made it tonight.

It turned out good, but as my husband says, Vince's seems to "age" their sauce a little longer - aka, simmer it for more than the directions above say.

Also, I would have liked mine saucier, so I would add a 14.5 oz can of plain tomato sauce.

Really, it's not all that much different from my Killer Sicilian Meat Sauce except mine includes bulk pork sausage and red pepper flakes, and Vince's uses sugar while I don't.

Post subject: Vince's Spaghetti
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:07 pm 
Since we have been going to Vince's for over 50 years, I decided to try this recipe. It tastes nothing like the real thing. Nothing. And it is way too sweet. Can anyone come closer??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:40 am 

I would omit the sugar (2 tbsp sounds just wrong!), use whole tomatoes not in puree (Contadina) and deglaze the ground beef pan with about 1/2 cup of good red wine. Naturally, I realize this is no longer Vincent's recipe but I would like it better. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:28 am 

I would also cut back on the sugar. A little can help balance/smooth the acidity from the tomatoes, especially from tomato paste which can be very tomato-y (for me, anyway). Two tablespoons of sugar does sound like more than you need, unless you happen to prefer a sweeter sauce. I'd start with a scant teaspoon and keep taste testing. If you cook with wine, Micheline's suggestion of adding some is definitely a good one...it's such a great flavor conductor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:44 pm 
Aging will definitely help. When I make my spaghetti sauce I cook it in the crockpot for something like 24 hours on low. It tastes best the second or third day after cooking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:24 pm 

I am of the opinion that adding sugar to marinara sauce is an infamnia.
Probably an international conspiracy to destroy our nations collective bodily fluids. I think General Ripper (Dr Strangelove) would agree.

2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 cp fine dice onion
1 28 oz cn diced tomato
1 28 oz cn whole plum tomato
1/4 cp good olive oil
1 lb mild italian sausage, casings removed

Bring olive oil to temp in dutch oven, or lg sauce pan
Add onion, stir 2 min
Add sausage, break up with wooden spatula, brown a few minutes (don't burn onion)
In last minute, add garlic (don't burn)
Add tomatos with juice, bring just to boil
Reduce heat, cook 1/2 hr - break up tomatos with spatula (you don't have to go crazy over this)
Add 1 tsp dried basil, 1/2 tsp dried oregano
Cook additional 10 minutes

Serve over hot cooked pasta
Garnish with fresh grated parmesan cheese

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:46 am 
Adding a touch of sugar to tomato sauce etc is a very Southern style of cooking. My mother and grandmother did it but I don't. The tomato should be sweet enough all by itself or it wasn't allowed to stay home on the vine long enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:00 pm 

morcar and JJ, Try using 2 28oz. cans tomatoes in puree for Vince's recipe...as for sweetening, many recipes call for chopped carrots instead of sugar. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:06 pm 

I have been folowing this post and thinking, thinking..'bout the sugar... and until you posted SandyToes, it did not register-- Carrots---thats it!! From time to time I would use grated carrots in my sauce, and I loved the flavor----, I had forgotten 'bout the carrots, I think that is the answer--Thank you!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:15 am 

morcar wrote:
Really, it's not all that much different from my Killer Sicilian Meat Sauce

Morcar, have you posted your recipe here already?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:54 pm 

champagne wrote:
morcar wrote:
Really, it's not all that much different from my Killer Sicilian Meat Sauce

Morcar, have you posted your recipe here already?

Why no, I don't believe I have.

A note about the sugar. I was just talking w/my mom the other day about sugar in spaghetti sauce. She told me she learnt to make 2 different types of Sicilian style meat sauce (one of which she passed on to me, as noted above). Each of the two people who taught her their recipes were directly from Sicily, although different families. Both had the same thing to say about sugar in the sauce: NO NO NO!!!!

A note about the "Vince's" recipe: I've made it a few more times since posting it and I don't bother anymore. I prefer mine. It tastes better. *shrug*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:32 pm 

Morcar, I hope you share it with us! :D

As for the sugar thing, I normally don't use it. I'm also horrified at the sweetness of some of the jarred sauces I've tasted...ICK! :shock: However, some people seem to prefer a noticeable sweetness. :? In the past, I've tried sauce recipes that were just too acidic for whatever reason. Rather than sweeten, a pinch of sugar simply balanced the flavor. You'd never know it was there.